SSBGC Flounder Fishing Tournament Rules
- Official tournament starting date and time ~ Saturday, July 21, 2018 at 6 a.m. – lines in the water must be out at 4 p.m. that same day. Crews can leave from any port. Fish can be brought by car but must be weighed at Captain Max King’s Marine. Crews must be standing in the weigh-in line by 6:00 p.m.
- There will be a captains’ meeting on Friday, July 20, 2018 from 5:30 – 7 p.m., at Captain Max King’s Marine, 3829 Shore Dr., Virginia Beach. At least one member from each team MUST attend.
- This is a boat tournament. Each boat may weigh-in up to three (3) flounder. Winners will be determined by the combined weight of the team’s fish. Entry fee for each boat is $225 (up to 4 anglers), $25 each additional angler.
- Fish must be caught by rod and reel only.
- All fish are subject to thorough examination, both external and internal by the Southside Boys and Girls Club Tourney Committee – going forward, referred to as the Tourney Committee.
- In the event of a tie, the first team checked in at the weigh-in will be declared the winner.
- Anglers are advised to maintain an active weather watch when fishing Virginia’s waters. The captain and crew must decide on their own when and where to fish during this tournament and they are solely responsible for their safety.
- Anglers will be required to submit to a sworn affidavit, if asked, and take a lie detector test, if deemed necessary, which will be provided by the Tourney Committee. These may be required at any time and for any reason deemed appropriate by the Tourney Committee.
- Anglers are responsible for all applicable taxes on prizes received. Winners shall allow the tournament sponsor and the individual sponsors the opportunity and right to film, videotape, record, and photograph the winners and to use the prize winner’s name, voice and likeness without further compensation for advertising and promotion of the Southside Boys & Girls Club (SSBGC) and its sponsors.
- All participants agree that the SSBGC, Captain Max King’s Marine, and any sponsor of this tournament shall not be liable for injury, loss, or damage of any kind resulting from participation in this tournament or from the acceptance or use of any awarded prize.
- Any protest must be filed by 6:00 p.m. on the day of the tournament. The protest must be made directly to an official of the Tourney Committee. The Tourney Committee will review any and all protests and their decisions will be final.
- No fish caught during the act of commercial fishing will be eligible.
- Any fish entered in or with another contest or tournament, outside of the SSBGC flounder fishing, shall be ineligible for entry into this tournament.
- Any contestant found guilty of cheating, attempting to cheat, or otherwise deviating from the regulations of this tournament, shall be disqualified and considered ineligible for further and future participation and will be prosecuted
- If small craft advisories are posted at 5 p.m. the day before the tournament for the day of the tournament, for the area near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, the tournament will be postponed until the next “blow date.” The scheduled blow day will be Sunday, July 22, same hours. Small craft advisory information shall be as announced by NOAA and obtained from the weather channel on marine VHF radio. If by any reason weather does not cooperate on the schedule “Blow date” winners will be picked by raffles.
- Fish that will be entered into the tournament must be tagged with tags that will be supplied at the tournament meeting.
- There will be an optional big fish Calcutta with an entry fee of $100 per boat with a 90% payout. The single heaviest fish wins. You must tag your Calcutta fish with the special tag provided in case of a tie, the first fish weighed will be the winner.
- There will be a second optional “stringer” Calcutta for $100 with a 90% payout to the heaviest stringer entered in this Calcutta. All Prizes are minimum guarantee.
- 1st Place: $5,000
- 2nd Place: $2,500
- 3rd Place: $1,500
- 4th Place: $1000
- 5th Place: $500
- 6th Place: $250
- $100: Heaviest Oyster Toad
- $100: Ladies Division Heaviest Flounder
- $50 and some tackle: 15 and under division Heaviest Flounder
- $500 Sponsor Division Bragging rights. This will consist of a plaque with your name as the SSBGC Sponsor Flounder champion). Your name will be engraved on the plaque which will hang in your office for a year. Return the following year to defend your bragging rights. There may be a new champion.
- “$500 Lucky Flounder” payout – Teams not placing in the Top 6 will be entered into a “Lucky Flounder drawing”. A member of the team must be present to win. If no member of the winning team is present, another team name will be drawn.
Got a Question?
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or comments.